Friday, July 31, 2009

Whatcha Watchin'? "Stuff" Boom de ah da, Boom de ah da!

OK, so I’m neither cool nor sophisticated enough to appreciate the reviews of the fine TV shows that some people like to write for about on their blogs. Maybe that’s because I’m not a fan of Lost and I’d rather watch Top Chef Masters than read a blow-by-blow description of it.



Plus, my wife and I have rather proletarian tastes. We like Dirty Jobs. And Deadliest Catch. We’re huge Mike Rowe fans. And we’re not too proud to confess that we also like Ben Bailey on Cash Cab.

We also like “triple D” (Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives) on Food. And we like Monk, Burn Notice, In Plain Sight and Royal Pains. Yep, we go for the “trailer park” of TV--Discovery Channel and USA. (By the way, according to Newsweek, USA is the main profit generator for NBC). We’re fans of My Name is Earl (well, the 1st year anyway) and we really like the new show on ABC Better off Ted.
The cast of "Better Off Ted"

Where else but on Discovery would guys like Sig Hansen, Phil Harris, Keith Coburn and Jonathan Hillstrand go from grubby, profane, cussing fishing boat captains to TV personalities with their own websites, merchandise and fan clubs? I love it! One of these days I’m going to put together some sort of post about the “management styles” of the captains and their relevance to business. Maybe it’ll be the next “One Minute Manager”, who knows.

The Captains of Deadliest Catch

Maybe this has something to do with the fact that I’ve been unemployed for 6 months now. But when I was working and traveling 80% of the time and staying in hotels 4 nights a week, I would watch these shows from the comfort of my Hampton Inn room at night.

Before I lose you from this diatribe, let me mess with your mind this week. Here’s a YouTube video I came across last week. It’s another of those that will get in your head like a broken record and drive you nuts. And, it’s about the Discovery Channel. Here goes and I hope you hum it and hum it and finally have to give it away to someone else in order to clear it from your brain:





No comments:

Post a Comment